Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's day

Proverbs 10:31
"10A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
15 She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her.
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."

I cut parts of it out, only because it is a very long passage, but worth reading all of it. If you are a young woman (such as myself) it should be the reference for the characteristics we should strive for. I thought these verses were relevant to today. Especially the last few where we are called to praise and bless our mothers for all they do for us.

Now, I'd like to speak about two issues close to my heart. (No, I will not let politics take a holiday off as a subject of my blog. Injustice never sleeps, so neither will I.)

The first is abortion. Please give pregnant mothers hope and an alternative option. Please support local pregnancy centers. Donate time, money or items to them. You can even donate for free by using the search engine good search. I bring up abortion as a topic for mothers day because abortion not only effects the child, but the mother as well. I love and respect women. The "pro-choice" movement has deluded America into thinking being anti-abortion is the same as being anti-woman. How can I be against my own gender?



The other issue is the treatment of mother hens and cows in factory farms. Please take a look at these other blogs:
universal mothering
Maternal instincts belong to all animals

because they deserve better.

1 comment:

STEPcoach said...

very well written, Way. This is a section of scripture I use often in coaching married couples. What's surprising is how many of them have never heard that there are positive guidelines for young ladies to follow. Most assume (remember what happens when you ASSUME?!) they are on their own or they just have to figure out what of Mom's examples - good or bad - to follow.
Thank you for spotlighting this. You write a great blog!