Sunday, January 06, 2008

Soothing Lentil soup

Well, I've been sick for the last few days and haven't cooked much. I know I don't post recipes often anyway, but the last two things I baked turned out poorly. So, I've been relying on cans of chili and baked beans etc. They are fine but not as well balanced as I normally try to eat. Luckily I turned to some fool-proof comfort food. I pulled out the crockpot (or slow-cooker), tossed in the ingredients and let it do the work while I went to church. When I got home I had a big pot of steaming soup waiting for me. A perfect lunch for a sore throat.

Lentil Soup
-4 cups water
-1 cup dried lentils (picked through)
-2-3 baby carrots
-1 small potato or 1/2 a medium sized one
- 1 radish
-1 celery stalk
- 1/8 cup onion, diced
-salt and other spices (i.e. dried oregano,pepper) to taste

Plug in crockpot and pour water and lentils in. Turn on high w/ lid off while preparing veggies. Wash and chop veggies and add to pot. Add a small amount of seasonings. Put lid on and leave for about 3 hours. Towards end you can check and taste to see if you want to add more seasoning, but try to leave lid on. Note: you may substitute split peas with lentils and just use carrots and celery (maybe even some zucchini.)
Enjoy!

No comments: